Paint your own NOAA SciJinks pumpkins!
What you need:
- Black marker
- Black paint
- Small paintbrush
- Your choice of SciJinks stencil
What to do:
- Print out the template page.
- Place the paper on the pumpkin and secure it with tape. You don't want it to move around while you trace the design. Since you're putting a flat piece of paper on a rounded surface, there will be some bunching, but don't worry about that too much.
- With a black permanent marker, very slowly trace the outline of the shape. The marker will bleed through the paper and leave marks on the pumpkin for you to use as a guide. To be sure that it bleeds through enough, you can go back and forth over the same area a few times, or stop every few millimeters as you trace and let the marker bleed through some more.
- Remove the paper stencil, and use your black marker to trace the outline of the shape.
- Fill in the design with the black marker or black paint. It's best to fill in the edges and small spaces with the marker, but the marker does not work well covering large areas. For those, paint is much easier.
- Display your SciJinks pumpkin for all to see!
Learn more about the GOES-R series, rain, hurricanes, and lightning!